Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Rain Barrel

So we started a rain barrel tonight, just in time for some heavy rain. I bought a 35 gallon garbage can, some gutter adjusters, some spickets(as they are called in WV) and a lid....My physicist husband created a rain barrel. I was thinking that it would rain and a few inches would run into the barrel.....Well right now it is over flowing. Who would have thought that we could collect 35 gallons of water off of our roof in 30 minutes. I guess I will be able to water my flowers for a while in case of a drought. Please answer one question for me....Does recycling, composting, and harvesting rain water make us hippies....lol...or are we just going green????

4 comments:

G. Kurt said...

Pictures of pot and rain harvesting, yep, definitely hippies. You might as well have you kids sell grilled cheese sandwiches on the street corner and pray to Jerry at night.

Abby said...

g.kurt you are hillarious. maybe nic could sell lemonade with sophia and fletcher. Well if there is ever a drought you will know where to come for some extra water...lol...

Nicolas said...

kurt knows a little too many facts about the "hippie lifestyle". i think maybe there is a little hippie inside of him trying to break free

Nicolas said...

actually, i think this idea is genius! seriously, i wanna do it!